Health-Care Waste Startup Europe Accelerathon


WHAT will be done


The proposed action is an event to make visible and provide solutions to the current problems of health care waste. The Health Care Waste Startup Europe Accelerathon will be presented this time through an online webinar by international experts in healthcare waste reduction, the prestigious Canarian health service, Members of European Institutions and smart waste entrepreneurs.

🗓 Thursday 26/11

🕘17:00 p.m to 19:00 p.m

📝Register here

🇪🇺StartUp Europe Awards (SEUA) is an European Commission DG CONNECT methodology implemented by the Finnova Foundation that has traditionally had the institutional support of the European Parliament, the European Committee of the Regions and the European Economic and Social Committee since 2016. Accelerathon is an innovative acceleration programme promoted by the Finnova Foundation.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 85% of waste generated by healthcare activities is not hazardous waste compared to household waste. The remaining 15% is considered hazardous material, whether infectious, chemical or radioactive. Waste management and hygienic conditions are essential for protecting human health during outbreaks such as Covid-19. Incineration is mainly considered as the safest treatment because it destroys microbiological pollutants. Nevertheless, this is not the safest alternative and we should move towards a Recovery and Biological Treatment (MRBT) strategy.

For instance, based on an article from  The Brussels Times, face masks take up to 450 years to decompose. Therefore, we need open innovation in health care waste management and COVID-19 is demanding more efforts to come up with new disruptive solutions.

Health care Waste StartUp Europe Accelerathon presents a prize methodology for startups at local, regional, national and European level that fosters the open innovation and the collaboration between the different actors of the European ecosystem, through the private-public partnership to support entrepreneurs.

On this webinar will be launched the competition of these European Awards and its challenges, following the guidelines of the 2030 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and waste reduction actions of the EWWR.

It aims to identify innovative ideas in the field of healthcare waste that can be financed by the European Union, such as the Life programme, Green Deal, Horizon 2020, Next Generation EU.

The awarded entrepreneurs during the awards ceremony in 2021 will receive a StartUp Europe acceleration ticket of acceleration worth of 10,000 euros. The following services will be offered to the winners of the acceleration ticket:

  • Mentoring
  • European B2B Marketplace
  • Networking/lobbying
  • European funding for internationalisation

Some of the benefits will be:

  • Advice in the elaboration of proposals to obtain European funds that will allow to turn the entrepreneur’s innovation into a recognized and/or financed European project.
  • Support in the definition of communication and marketing actions.
  • Intellectual property rights assistance service that offers personalised advice on EU intellectual property rights.


WHERE it will take place




Rue de la Science

Action Developer

WHO will run the show


# Association/NGO

How can you get in contact:

Follow us on:


will it happen?

Dates of the proposed action:



join hands and minds to prevent waste?

Help the world,
share this action!

Related actions